Denise Goldberg's blog

Hawaii dreaming
Around the Big Island - a visit to see the wonders of Pele

Sunday, April 6, 2003

Weather extremes & the Big Island

I keep hearing different quotes about the climate zones found on the Big Island of Hawaii - and they couldn't possibly all be correct. I've heard that Hawaii has 10 of the 15 climate zones in the world. I've also heard 10 out of 13, 13 out of 15, and 21 of 22. I believed the statement that there were a lot of climate zones on the island, and I didn't want to perpetuate more false statements, so I went looking to see if I could determine how many climate zones there really are.

The climate zones that are referenced are Koppen Climate Classifications. I finally found what appears to be a full list of zones on a University of Texas lecturer's web page. Then I found an article written by 3 individuals in the Department of Geography at the University of Hawaii showing the climate zones on the Big Island on NOAA's Mauna Loa Observatory page. (NOAA is the National Oceanic and Atmmospheric Administration.) I'm hoping these are better sources than some of the odd-ball quotes that I've heard!

According to a combination of these two sources, Hawaii has 10 different climate zones out of 25 world-wide climate zones, varying from tropical/hot climates to periglacial or tundra climates. And you wondered why I think I need such variations in clothing for my trip to the tropics!

For anyone who is curious - and for me, in case I go looking for this information again, here's a summary of the climate zones:
ZoneClimate DescriptionOn the Big Island?
A Climates - Tropical / Hot
AfTropical rainforestyes
AwTropical wet-dry (low sun dry), savannayes
AsTropical wet-dry (high sun dry),savannayes
AmTropical monsoonyes
B Climates - Arid / semiarid
BWhDry/arid (hot) - low latitude desertsyes
BWkDry/arid (cool) - middle latitude desertsno
BShSemi-arid, steppe (hot)yes
BSkSemi-arid, Steppe (cool)no
C Climates - Subtropical
CwaHumid subtropical - warm with distinctly dry winterno
CfaHumid subtropical - East coastsno
CsaHumid subtropical (Mediterranean) - warm w/ dry hot summerno
CsbHumid subtropical (Mediterranean) - cool w/ dry cool summeryes
CfbMarine West Coast - Mildyes
CfcMarine West Coast - Coolyes
D Climates - Temperate (Continental)
DfaHumid continental hot summers w/ year around precipitationno
DwaHumid continental hot summers w/ dry wintersno
DfbHumid continental mild summer with year around rainfallno
DwbHumid continental mild summer with dry wintersno
DfcSubarctic with cool summers and year around rainfallno
DfdSubarctic with cold winters and year around rainfallno
DwcSubarctic with cool summers and dry wintersno
DwdSubarctic with cold winters and dry wintersno
E Climates - Polar (Ice)
ETTundra climateyes
EFIcecap climateno
H Climates - Highland areas
HHighland climateno