Denise Goldberg's blog

Hawaii dreaming
Around the Big Island - a visit to see the wonders of Pele

Sunday, March 30, 2003

Where? Around the island!

Once I made the decision to go to Hawaii, my plans came together very quickly. I've ridden the island before, so I have a good sense of distances and terrain. I found a biking guide on the PATH (People's Advocacy for Trails Hawai'i) web site that helped too.

I will be riding around the island, but as you look at my plans you'll see that this isn't a pure biking trip. I'll be biking, hiking, and doing a little relaxing too. It should be a well-rounded vacation.



Day by day...

This is a first for me. On my other solo trips, I've just gone with the flow, trusting that I'd find a place to stay when I decided the biking day was over. This time I have some specific things I want to see and do, and there are a couple of locations where there appear to be very few places to stay. I have no idea when high season is in Hawaii, but I suspect it's not the middle of May - so it's probably possible to just trust that I can find a place to stay at the end of the day. But even so, I planned this trip out, and made reservations for places to stay. Once I get to the Big Island, I'll just follow my plan. For anyone who wants a peek at it ahead of time, here's a view of my day to day plans.

Day From - To Transportation Activity
1 Boston to Kona plane travel, travel, travel
2 Kailua-Kona bike & by foot wander around by bike & on foot, get acclimated
3 Kailua to Na'alehu bike bike, what else!
4Na'alehu to Volcano bikebike
5 Volcano bike & by footwander & hike
6 Volcano to Hilobike & by vanbike + go to the top of Mauna Kea
7Hilovan & hikehike to active lava flows (I hope!)
8Hilo to Waimeabikebike
9Waimea to the Kohala Coastbikebike
10Kohala Coaststay still!relax on the beach
10 & 11Kona to Bostonplanetravel home